Saturday, November 21, 2009
TJ NOMADIC RACE WAS TRULY AWESOME (Y)The race
Whoa, I have never walked so much in my entire life. We walked from TJ to Suntec city on the first day for like 2hours +, and that was the killer man. And it didnt help when it rained for three days everyday. We had to trudge in the rain under our thin ponchos and got our shoes soaking wet (I guess that was how I fell sick/:) Of course, we had great fun too like the selling of apples, the 'stop for patriotism' flash mob, the shiok night at SVF, the shuttle bus rides, the piggyback at Henderson wave, and the exhiliration all of us felt when we solved 'Where Jordan meets the Titans' and reached TJ first :D :D :D I was stretched physically and mentally especially since I wasnt feeling well and havent always been a fast walker. Learnt a ton lot of lessons too, like being firm yet flexible in the decisions we make, to not be swayed by distractions, and most importantly to care for our team mates:-D
The coaches
Andrew and Terrence!(Y) Hahaha both of them are the crappiest people ever. They're full of bullshit (in a good way lah) and they really made the camp a funny and enjoyable one:) They helped us alot during the race too, and are undeniably great coaches!(Y)
Team Gamma

Needless to say, we're awesomeeeee! I think Gamma has rly become bonded after this camp because we went through so much sweat tgther. I could really feel the care that we all had for one another especially when I was sick and they all cheered and encouraged me on. Especially thanks to yucheng who helped me alot alot alot by constantly asking whether I'm okay, taking my bag for me, and always willing to stand behind to push the slower ones in front. Real gentleman:D & though Gamma did have some disagreements, but overall we did great and hey, we were the last to leave school but the first to reach back!:-D Arent we HOT? Hahaha. I love Gamma although thr were times when I felt some of us were abit insensitive to each others' feelings. Nevertheless, every finger determines the strength of a hand, just like how each of us makes a difference to ALL OF US.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE EVERY SINGLE ONE IN GAMMA!(L)
My only regret throughout the camp is that I coudnt go for the cocktail party on the last day and couldnt have fun dressing up as a superstar with Jess, cos ugh I was sick/: But sincerest thanks to Alpha for being so considerate in the HC room. When I walked in, Caleb was like "eh eh, dont sit on the sofa let her sleep". YugHan offered his medicine and Simon helped me find sleeping bags as pillow and blanket. Shanna and the rest also asked if I'm okay and lowered their volume cos I was sleeping. Alpha's a really awesome bunch of people too, and I love House Comm as well!:-D
Anyway, Coach Andrew said something during second day debrief which rly struck me. During the race, one big mistake that we made was walking too fast in front and not looking behind to see if people at the back are okay. It is easier to walk in front since we can go at our own pace. Likewise, it's easy to be a leader because you can just chiong forward and achieve the task at your own pace. However, a really good leader is one who leads not at his own pace but at the pace of his followers, at a pace which his followers are comfortable with. Leadership is not about the leader, but about how well the leader leads his people. Leave no man behind.
Leave a place better than when you found it, leave a person better than when you found him.
What kind of legacy do we want to leave behind?